Wednesday, January 4, 2012

A Day At Home With Vintage Catalogs & Letters

Since I am not feeling so well, I did not actually leave the house today, so therefore I have no outfit to show. I do however have a few things in my room that I thought would be worth showing. First of all my grandmother bought me this little sewing machine christmas. Lately, I have been complaining that I cannot sew, so this was a perfect gift. Now I just have to learn how to use it. I am trying to figure it out by myself, but I think that I should take some classes to really get the hang of it. I want to become a sewing master before I head off to college, so that I can handle any outfit disasters that come my way. Also, I would love to be able to alter my vintage and thrift finds.



I am in love with the white dress.

This is a 1958 Marshall Fields catalog. The closing of Marshall Fields is quite sad coming from Chicago; my mom still has trouble going into a Macy's. Even though the store is no longer, I am glad to have a few vintage catalogs that are filled with stunning clothing.

I found these letters at an estate sale I went to a couple of weeks ago. The red, white, and blue striped envelopes immediately caught my attention, but when I began to read them, I knew I had to have them. They are love letters from 1946. The couple, Ida and Tommy, were in a long distance relationship until they could save up enough money for Ida to move to Arizona. I only have a few letters, so I don't know the whole story, but I loved what I read.  One letter from August 1st, 1946 reads as follows: "First, honey let me say I'm really happy to know my little girl will share with me happy moments the rest of our natural lives. You and I will love and keep you in sickness and in health for what I said I mean deeper and deeper every day." I thought that this was so sweet.

Thank you to all my new followers.
Until next time, Mandy

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Happy New Year!
    I like your blog, would love to if you could follow mine, I'm premiering so I'd appreciate it very much, I'm sure you'll love it!
    I leave the link so you can see:
    http://mon-whatsheswearing.blogspot.com/
    Have a great day! :)
    M.G.

    ReplyDelete