Saturday, February 18, 2012

Henna Hair Dye

So last night I took a trip over to Lush to get my henna. They apply it right there in the store for you, which was so much fun. Everyone that walked in gave me strange looks, but you probably would too once you see what this stuff looks like. I'm going to be completely honest with you, it looks really disgusting. Here are some photos of the process.
Henna comes in four colored bricks. I chose the marron because it said that it would give me darker chestnut hair.
I know I don't look very attractive, but the henna is super messy so you have to wear clothes that can easily get ruined.
In order to put the henna on your head, you have to chop it up and mix it with boiling water. Yes, I know, it looks like mud.
Before we started the henna.
As you can see, it's like a big pile of mud on my head.

So gross. It hardens so quickly. My hair was so heavy I could barely keep my head up.
She was so nice. I would definitely go back and ask her to do it again.
My lovely saran wrapped head.
This really isn't a pretty process. I kept the henna in for three hours and then washed it out in the sink. I'm so glad that my aunt and uncle helped me or I would never have gotten it all out.
And here is the final product. This isn't the greatest picture, but it will just have to do. So my hair did not turn darker, but it did turn somewhat red. Each light gives it a different color, but there are definitely some red highlights. The henna makes your hair super shiny since it is all natural ingredients. I liked the way it turned out, it was just surprising. I really recommend this for anyone who wants a temporary healthy dye, but you will have to accept how nasty it looks.  

Until next time, Mandy

8 comments:

  1. How much did it cost? :) Your hair is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, this looks like so much fun, maybe a little gross seeming at first but looks like it's worth it, your hair looks gorgeous!
    Love your outfit post below btw, you have amazing style. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, I'll have to try this. I did not know you can dye your hair with henna.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandma dyes her hair with henna!

    ReplyDelete
  5. o wow i had no idea lush carried and applied henna, i want to get it done to my hair! your results look great :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. that looks amazing! and you look great even if you're wearing clothes to get messy in, you kinda look like audrey hepburn hehe xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just thinking how much she reminds me of Audrey! Ha ha :)

      I'm from Israel and we have henna powder in every market, it's ridiculously cheap (Like 1$ for 300 grams) and I find it much more pigmented than Lush's henna.

      Delete